Hot Weather Pet Care
Did you know it is illegal to leave pets in hot cars?
Click here for more information.
When it's HOT, your pet needs special care. Here are tips from Orphans of the Storm to enjoy the Dog Days of Summer while keeping your pet comfortable and safe:
* Make sure that your pet has plenty of clean water and is able to escape the heat. Make sure they have shade, besides a doghouse! Or, better yet, bring them inside!
* Leave your dog at home when the temperatures soar. Never leave him in a parked car on a warm day. On a hot summer day the inside of your car heats up very quickly. For example, the temperature can go from 85 degrees to 102 degrees Fahrenheit in only ten minutes - even with the windows cracked!
* Would you want to be out in the heat with a fur coat? Even if your pet is your regular walking or jogging partner, give him the day off when the temperatures rise.
* Do not let your dog hang his head out of a moving car, as rocks or tree limbs may hit your pet, or he could lose his balance and fall out.
* Never allow your pet to ride in the back of pick-up trucks. A sudden turn or stop will throw your animal out of the vehicle.
* If your pet is overcome by heat exhaustion, cool him off with cold water and ice, and have your veterinarian check him as soon as possible.
* If you see an animal at risk, contact your local police, or state police. The animals can not speak for themselves, and depend on you!